Monday, February 11, 2019

IDEAS NASA Apollo Saturn V, Part 5 - Bags 4, 5, and 6

Hi, All,

This weekend, I managed to get a bit more work completed on the Saturn V model, working through the 4th through 6th parts bags.
This series of parts completes the first stage booster.

Parts bag 4 mainly covers the building of the round conduits and their associated support structure.
One thing to be careful with here is that there are two different pairs of long assemblies that attach in specific places on the model.

I got all of the strips built and put into place before I realized I had them all 90 degrees apart on the model.  I didn't realize this until it came time to build the long conduit pieces and snap them in place.  When I reached the bottom sections of conduit, I found there was no attachment place, because I had put the support strips in the wrong position.  Ooops.
Of course, this required dismantling a substantial amount of work to put things right.

Pay attention to the illustrations, geek!!!!



Anyway, the goof was successfully corrected, and I could move on to parts bag #5, which has all the pieces to completed the 'corrugated' section of the main body tube. 

This section progressed very quickly, so it was on to parts bag #6, which completes the business end of the rocket. - the 5 mighty engine/nozzle assemblies.  
The last few parts in the bag round out the fins, shrouds, and final sections of the main body.

Here is a pic of the completed first stage:






No comments:

Post a Comment